Wednesday 2 April 2008

Retrospective - Scarface: The World is Yours

  • Game: Scarface: The World is Yours
  • Console: PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC
  • Developer: Radical Entertainment
  • Publisher: Sierra Entertainment
  • Released: 2006
As all of my readers will know (all one of you), I've started Final Fantasy XII again in the hopes of completing it. Well, that seems to be pretty much out of the window as I haven't played it for a few days now. I will complete it eventually. Promise. But what with me going through my games collection the other day I stumbled on a couple of hidden gems that not only got pushed to the back of my wall unit, but also to the back of my mind. Most notable are the games I never completed.

One of these games I found was Scarface: The World is Yours on the PS2. I remember playing it last year and getting quite a bit of enjoyment out of it, but stopping. I think it might have been because it really was quite hard, or I wasn't playing it properly, whatever.

Scarface: TWIY is the game of the film, but not really: it's the sequel. I know, Tony Montana died at the end of the movie, but the game starts with you playing through the end of the movie as you help Tony successfully escape his under siege mansion. You kill most of Sosa's men, and escape just as the Police arrive. Yes, it's quite strange to have a movie ending turned on it's head like this, especially for a game, but what this allows the game to do, though, is to carry on the legend of Montana when he's pushed back to the bottom of Miami's crime-ladder instead of merely playing through the set-pieces of the actual film.

The game is pretty much identical to GTA Vice City, only slightly more complex. Tony has to restart his empire from the ground up, starting with buying his mansion back off the Vice Squad. You can then buy businesses and use these as fronts for your drug dealing ways. Without going into too much detail, it's really quite fun.

Anyway, I don't want to bang on about everything in the game. Suffice to say, I'm aiming to complete this. Judging on past attempts to complete games I bought ages ago and forgot about, I doubt I will, but at least I can have a lot of fun shooting people in the nuts while trying to do it.

No comments: