Saturday 21 June 2008

At a Loss in The Dark

I'm somewhat at a loss as to whether or not I should get the new Alone in the Dark. The reviews it's getting seem to say the same thing - it's good, not great or you'll want to love it for what it does right, but you'll hate it for what it does wrong. I think this is a gamer's worst nightmare; a game that you seem really interested in, but the reviews don't really give a definite 'yes' or 'no' answer to whether you should buy it or not.

Luckily for me, though, I've got a trump card that I pull out whenever I'm in a game-purchasing-pickle. It's called Official Xbox Magazine UK. It has never done me wrong and on the one time I decided to go against what the magazine said I got a metaphorical kick in the balls by the game I decided to purchase against the better judgement of said magazine. That's right: 'better judgement'. I don't have time to spend deciding which games I should or should not buy, I need someone to do it for me, and as much as I love the internet, I don't quite trust it enough to decide for me.

That's why I still buy magazines. It's not so good for your back to do all your reading on a computer and that's merely one of the reasons I love, and probably always will love, reading articles, reviews and news from the glossy pages of gaming publications. For the sake of all that's innocent in the world, I've been doing so for at least 10 years, I'm not about to stop now!

No comments: